I do a lot of side projects, and my personal workflow and tooling is something that’s constantly evolving. Right now, it looks something like this:
- Prognosticator for tracking features/improvements, measuring the iceberg, and tracking progress
- WorkFlowy for tracking non-development tasks (the most recent addition to the toolset)
- Trac for project documentation, and theoretically for defect tracking, though I’ve not been good about entering defects in Trac recently; it doesn’t seem worth the effort on a one-person project, though with multiple people I think it would be a must
- Trello for cross-cutting all the above and indicating what’s next/in progress/recently completed, and for quickly jotting down ideas/defects. Most of the defect tracking actually goes in here on one-man projects right now. This is a lot of duplication and the main source of waste in my current process.
- Bitbucket for source control (I also use Atlassian’s excellent SourceTree as a Git/Hg client.)